Endometriosis is one health condition that can interfere with your daily life. Marked by long-term pain, discrepancies in menstrual cycle and fertility issues, the condition can cause you great sense of discomfort.
In this blog, let us explore more about the condition, its symptoms and treatment.
What is endometriosis?
The word “endo” means inside and “metra” means uterus. Endometrium is the lining or inside layer of the uterus.
Every month, the endometrium keeps growing and sheds – this is known as periods or menstruation. But sometimes, small pieces of endometrium grows and bleeds outside the uterus, commonly in the pelvic cavity, ovaries and fallopian tubes and this condition is what we call as endometriosis.
Symptoms of endometriosis
These are some of the symptoms that people suffering from endometriosis generally experience:
- Heavy bleeding during periods or spotting between periods
- Extremely painful menstrual cramps
- Chronic abdominal or lower back pain during your period or in between your periods
- Painful intercourse
- Painful bowel movements or urination
Do you need surgery to treat endometriosis?
Ayurveda says NO!
According to Ayurveda, endometriosis is a condition where your Vata is imbalanced, especially a subdivision of Vata known as Apana Vata, which is responsible moving downwards. It is completely reversible with Ayurvedic treatment.
Diet and lifestyle tips
Here are few diet and lifestyle tips you can follow to keep your endometriosis at check:
- Have a balanced without using bitter, astringent and spicy foods excessively.
- All meals should have good fats added.
- No raw vegetables and salads
- Do not skip meals at any cost
- Do not indulge in excessive sexual intercourse
- Do not have sex during periods
- Do not suppress the natural urges of the body – especially hunger, urination and defecation
The above-mentioned tips do work to some extent. But the best way is to consult an Ayurvedic doctor and seek treatment. Early diagnosis and treatment are important for better quality of life and to protect fertility.