What is PCOS?
PCOS or Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome is a hormonal condition affecting women in their reproductive age. It is one of the main causes of infertility. Almost 52% of women in India complain of PCOS. The duration of Ayurveda treatment for PCOS takes anywhere between 3 months to 6 months with no recurrence.
PCOS and PCOD are one and the same; just that PCOS is a recent name given to PCOD after it was discovered that it is not just a single disease, but a complex manifestation of many factors.
The different factors are
- Irregular periods
- Excess androgen – excess facial and body hair
- Face/body acne
- Weight gain around abdomen/hips
- Multiple cysts in ovaries revealed on ultrasound
According to modern science, the exact cause is of PCOS is unknown. Certain hypotheses are genetic predisposition, obesity and excess insulin. However, ancient Ayurvedic texts have mentions of the different causes of PCOS.
Causes of PCOS according to Ayurveda
According to Ayurveda, there are different causes of PCOS. These include:
- Vata, Pitta and Kapha accumulation
- Sleep irregularities, staying up late and day napping
- Overconsumption of drying foods, Vidahi foods, such as samosa, burgers, extremely spicy foods and skipping meals
- Holding natural urges of the body
- Impaired digestion
- Stress, overthinking and constant worry
- Kaphavrita Koshta – Gastrointestinal tract with high Kapha covering due to eating sugary foods and junk foods
Ayurveda treatment of PCOS
Ayurveda considers PCOS as‚ Atava Dushti, which translates to menstrual abnormality. This happens due to the vitiation of Vata, Pitta and Kapha. However, the highs and lows of vitiation vary from patient to patient.
Treatment protocol 1
- Sleep is the most important parameter to be corrected as sleep irregularities are one of the main causes of PCOS as per Ayurveda.
- Moderate exercise to half of one‚ as strength and capacity is ideal. No extreme, strenuous workouts are advised.
- Meditation, breathing exercises like Kapalbhati and daily Abhyanga (oil massages) are helpful.
Treatment Protocol 2
- A customized diet that balances the vitiated Doshas is ideal. E.g., if the patient presents with PCOS due to excess Kapha imbalance, the diet should be light. While for PCOS due to excess Vata imbalance, the diet should be nourishing.
- Reducing inflammatory foods, like black gram, yoghurt, and nightshades, like capsicum, potatoes, tomatoes, eggplants, etc. will help.
- Overall, having light easily digestible well-cooked foods with good fats added is important.
Treatment Protocol 3
In my practice, for most cases of PCOS that come to me, I do not usually prescribe medicines. I put them on a three-month diet and routines protocol based on their imbalance and they get better.
In cases where internal medicines are required, there are no one-size fits all in Ayurveda. The medicines vary from patient to patient depending on imbalances.
If you are suffering from PCOS, you can take our three-month PCOS Reversal Program. You can also join our other Health Programs for mind and body detox. And If you are struggling with any health issues, you can book a consultation with us or give us a message via WhatsApp at +91 79074 89839. If you have any queries, contact us. You can also follow me on Instagram.